Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Confirmation Quilt & What I'm Reading

Sunday was #2 Granddaughter's confirmation.  Here she is with the quilt I made for her to match her room.  I've never quite warmed up to that color combination but she seemed pleased with it. Anyway she was telling everyone she liked it and that it matched her room.


Little brother (there in the lower left corner) wanted to know when he gets his quilt. When I told him in four years for confirmation he was disappointed. His room has been recently redone so maybe he'll have to get his sooner.  The girls didn't get their rooms redone to their specifications until 8th grade so that's when they got their quilts.

Currently, I'm reading The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather. After she was divorced and lost her job she moved to rural Michigan and learned how to live on a $40 a week food budget and still eat well by using more locally grown foods. I've only read a few chapters so far and am enjoying it.  She admits that keeping the price down meant not going organic and that some things, like coffee and sugar, can't be produced locally but she goes out of her way to find the most natural products and buys "fair trade" coffee produced by coffee farmers who are paid a fair price for their product.


I'm making good progress on the next quilt....all the blocks are sewed.


Now to get them all laid out to suit me and get them sewn together.  The next part....borders... is where I lose steam. I did find a nice brown w/lavender flowers on it for the outer border. Inner border is still to be decided.  Maybe just a rather plain cream tone-on-tone to set it off from the cream print used as the background. We will see. I think the binding will be strips of the various lavenders sewn together. Backing will be the cream print, same as the background.



No comments:

Post a Comment