Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Happy??? Merry???


Or maybe I should say "Merry Christmas" since it's snowing out. Crazy! It's supposed to be nearly 60 degrees for a high tomorrow. Just your standard Nebraska weather, I guess.

Today I'm canning Butternut squash. There was a bumper crop this year. I'm quitting with 14 quarts since that's all the wide-mouth jars I have empty and I don't want to buy any more. This year I'm trying the official, approved method of peeling & dicing into 3/4 to 1 inch pieces, covering with water and pressure canning. Before I always cut the squash in half length-wise, took out the seeds, baked them, scooped out the squash & mashed it. It went into pint jars and got pressure canned. We'll see which we like best.....the approved way or the old, unapproved way. I always figured the old way was safe enough with getting pressure canned at 10 lbs. for 90 minutes.....but hey, what do I know? I've only been doing this for years and years.

1 comment:

  1. tried and true, is the new way any easier? Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete