Wednesday, August 3, 2016

I Actually Sewed Today!

Yes, I did!  The first time since our July quilt group meeting when my little light-weight, cheap Brother sewing machine gave up the ghost. It lasted about 7 1/2 years, so that isn't too bad. The group has a little mini retreat planned for next week so I had to get another machine---I don't like dragging my good Pfaff machine around---this is it:


It's another Brother. It's a step or two up from the previous one but still inexpensive. I looked at other machines, but none of them came with the extension table included. It sews nice and has way more stitches and features than I ever use. I hope it lasts at least as long as the previous one.

Like the post title says, I SEWED today!  Had to play a little with the new machine, figure out the settings for the best quarter inch seam, how to fill a bobbin---it's a little different from the old machine---stuff like that. And then I moved over to my trusty Pfaff machine & did some real sewing.  It felt so good!

It's been such a busy summer. The Story Times, craft days and movie days at the library were very well attended, but that means prep time increases. Getting ready to hire a new librarian----because I'm retiring at the end of this month---meant added paperwork and trying to get things done that had been let go for lack of time, weeding the collection & rearranging shelves, budget time, Strategic plan, accreditation---you name it---this is the year for it.  Add in the canning and/or freezing of apricots, strawberries, early apples, green beans and sweet corn and it gets exhausting. I keep saying that if I can make it through this week and next week I will be home free. The calendar for the rest of the month doesn't have anything extra, the beans & corn are finished, tomatoes haven't started, library events will be done----just regular work days and the new librarian will start training and will take over on Sept. 1st.

Just think----I will have at least an extra seventeen hours a week to sew, quilt, read, do genealogy, anything I want!


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, and I have found that being " retired', life is busier than before. More time, means more projects, but I am sure you will so enjoy nor running to a clock every morning.Like you, I found my Bernina became way too heavy to take to a quilting group, and I stopped going to the Wednesday meetings. I leave it set up permanently, but you had a great idea to have a lightweight one to take along, solves it all easily. Enjoy those last few weeks , and cope with everything there is to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to extra time too this summer. Why is it when there is finally time to do something I end up wasting it and not having much to show for my busyness... Have fun with your new machine.

    ReplyDelete