Friday, July 20, 2012

Wow! Second Post Today

Maybe I'm just making up for weeks that go by with none.  Actually I'm having a hard time typing with my fingers crossed because the window AC is making a strange noise. Now would be a heck of a time for it to die.  Bet there isn't a store in the area that has any left.

Just wanted to show some quilting progress. These bags represent 892 blue/neutral HSTs...plenty for Jamestown Landing, with some left over.


Next up is making 168 neutral string-pieced 4 1/2" squares for setting pieces.


I love string piecing. I already have the string-pieced parts of Orca Bay done so I guess for that quilt I'll have to start cutting and piecing MORE HSTs. To be honest, my sister Quilt Club members think I'm crazy making quilts with so many little pieces.  :)

In the last post I mentioned the power co. calling last night about the possibility of shutting down the power for a while. I forgot about the other interesting call my DH answered.  It was from Trans Canada wanting him to press "1" if he approved of the Keystone XL pipeline which is slated to come through about 3 miles north of us. I asked him if there was a number to press for disapproval and he said he didn't think so.  Why on earth would we approve of something with  its potential for pollution?  When the company won't even tell us what chemicals they're putting in that nasty tar sands oil to make it flow?

In my opinion they should build their own refineries in Canada and build a pipeline to the coast so they can do their exporting to China & India without the United States taking  the risks for very little return.  Or are government officials getting a good return for selling out the middle of our country? We sure won't see any of it. The landowners along the route are supposed to be satisfied with a one-time payment.  How about annual rental for the use of their land??  Jobs? Big lie. Certainly not for people along the route. Tax income for local areas?  The first Keystone pipeline hasn't lived up to the estimates in that area either.  What about pollution in the areas of the refineries when this chemical laden crap gets there?  People who are stuck living near the refineries are already sicker and have more cancer than other places. They don't need even more chemical fumes.

Well, I guess now the world knows where I stand on that little issue doesn't it??  I think it's important that people speak out. It's time for our government to man-up and tell Canada they can deal with their own tar sands oil and leave us out of it.

Just for good measure, they need to man-up with Mexico too and send the illegal aliens packing. This country is in bad shape financially and we can't afford to take in everyone.  Mexico doesn't. Just ask the Central Americans who get caught there illegally.  There's a saying in rural America, "Good fences make good neighbors." Might be something to think about.



No comments:

Post a Comment