Thursday, July 28, 2011

CPD23 Week 5

Thing 6:   I found it interesting to read about the various online networking opportunities though quite a few of the examples given seemed to be more British than American. I joined Facebook last fall and have found it to be a good way to keep up with the far flung members of my and my husband's families. I especially enjoy the pictures some post of their family activites.  LinkedIn was one that I had heard of before and it looks like it would be a good one to join if your aim is to make many contacts in your profession and might be useful for job hunting and relocating. Since I'm not looking to do either I won't join. Somehow I just keep thinking about something I saw once that said, "On the Internet you can be anything you want to be."  While online contacts may be a starting point, I really think good old fashioned face-to-face networking is still the best. 

I've been reading quite a bit about Google+ and the favorite thing about it for most people seems to be the circles so you can post certain things to certain groups and not to others. I think the way Facebook does it gets people into trouble because everything posted goes to everybody on the friends list, or friends of friends depending upon how your privacy settings are set up. Google+ might be something to keep an eye on.

Thing 7:  I had never heard of the majority of these face-to-face networking opportunities. I think ALA was the only familiar one...one I have never joined because I don't work in a library that would pay for going to meetings and events or pick up the tab for dues.  Most of my personal networking is kept pretty local...the county library association and the library system events. Living where I do there would just be too much travel involved to participate at the state or national level and I'm not eager to pay for these things out of my meager small town library salary. I do see where it could be useful for MLS professionals who want to become better known and move up the ladder. I know I'm staying here and just want to keep on top of things enough to do the best job I can for my library and it's patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment